Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day of Preschool

Ready for school 
Today is Luca's first day of preschool.  I've know this day was coming for a long time, but this morning when he came out of his bedroom with a delightful bedhead and a quiet smile, I felt like the day caught me by surprise.  Don't get me wrong - his backpack was packed, his lunch made, and we had finished his "homework" that he proudly displays (a "Packed with stuff about Me" picture)...  and I still feel like today just sort of snuck up on me.  How can my first baby be ready for school??
He's been ready though.  For a long time.  Ready to jump in there and brave the world of preschool.
His one (little) concern a few days ago had been What if they play a game that I don't know? 
     Now, for all you moms out there, I admit that watching him walk in there and sit down in his chair, then say good bye to us and jump right into the world of school without looking back, my breath caught a little.
I'm home now, Ana's napping, and my house feels eerily quiet without him running around.  I found myself praying for him throughout my day, and started wondering if I made the most of every day I had him with me, if I hugged and kissed him every chance I had, and while at this, asked forgiveness for all the times I've yelled at him or lost my patience for silly little things.
They do grow up so fast... and I guess learning to let go feels like this.  I've got much more of that coming my way I'm sure.
     Either way, this is a great new stage for my sweet little boy all grown up, and I am excited for him. Today we celebrate this new beginning. Next thing you know, he'll be headed out to college...

No comments: